The Humor List

TRAFFIC REPORT FOR OCTOBER 2018

TRAFFIC REPORT MENU
1. Welcome And Comments

2. Humor List Staff
3. Contributors' Tips
4. Become A Contributor
5. Traffic Report
6. Contributors' Daily Submission Counts
7. Humor List Goals
8. The 10 Basic Rules
9. Subscribing Instructions
10. Navigating Simplelists
11. Finding the Archives
12. Follow us on Social Media
13. Doug's Traditional Humor Contribution
14. The Humor List Website Navigation

WELCOME TO THE MONTH OF: OCTOBER 2018
Hi, everyone, this is Doug and Sandy, with this month's Traffic Report - our fifteenth month as a subscriber-supported group and our wonderful contributors are doing a fantastic job each month!! Our Contributors are the best!! If you read a post that you particularly liked - a little "fan mail" to the contributor is always welcomed! Just remember to hit the "Reply" on the email and do not send your personal message to the whole group!

Once a month, during the first part of the month, the Traffic Report is posted to the entire humor list. We hope that you have found that posting the monthly Traffic Report directly to our website and providing everyone a link, has been easier to follow our progress.

Doug: Our Contributors as usual are doing great with an average of around 13 per day with only 7-10 Contributors.

Sandy:  "Go back to college," they said. "It'll be fun!" Well, it is fun but no one mentioned how time consuming the workload was going be.  I'm trying to keep up the daily posts, but the Humor List would not continue to be functioning as smoothly as it is without Doug catching all the holes I'm currently not able to fill. A big "thank you" to Doug for all the patient assistance. If I were to believe my grandson, he says, "It'll get better!" ... here's hoping so.

On Nov 1, all of the November 2017 archived posts from SimpleLists will be permanently moved to our website and will no longer available through SimpleLists. Posts from December 2017-November 2018 will remain available on SimpleLists. Every month we will be adding the current month to our website and deleting it from SimpleLists - maintaining 1 year of archived files on SimpleLists available to subscribing members ONLY!

Files are currently being re-organized on our website, The Humor List Archive. If you find a broken link, let Sandy know what page you were attempting to reach so she can repair those links she missed. Thank you!!

* WOW!      We hit 402 posts. We have some very dedicated and hard-working contributors!

The Humor List Exciting Event

** A very special mention to the 4 Contributors that posted daily for OCTOBER 2018
    Sandy (AKA MsSam) - 20th Consecutive Month
    Humoress1 - 14th Consecutive Month
    George Matyjewicz - 6th Consecutive Month
    Paul Benoit - 1st Month

The Humor List Exceptional Posting

*** It continues being quite impressive what our dedicated contributors are doing again this month! What a remarkable job with 402 posts for October! Our average for the first 10 months of 2018 is at 15.06 jokes per day. Our daily average for October was 12.9 jokes per day. ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!

The Humor List Amazing Event

If you have a complaint or comment regarding a post - send it to: admin1@thehumorlist.us
If you have a complaint or comment regarding the Traffic Report - send it to: comments@thehumorlist.us
(This report updated with current information: OCTOBER 2018 )
Back To Top

THE HUMOR LIST STAFF IS COMPRISED OF:
Sandy (AKA MsSam): Member Services, Correspondence, and "Rules Cop" - admin1@thehumorlist.us
Doug Harter: Assistant Admin, Archivist, and Traffic Reporter - traffic@thehumorlist.us
Maurizio Mariotti: Twitter Account Management - twitter@thehumorlist.us
Bill Edwards: Founder and List-Owner Emeritus

** CONTRIBUTORS' TIPS **
TIME CHANGE:
Sunday morning, at 2AM, clocks will be set back one hour (Spring ahead, Fall backwards). Because SimpleLists' server does no change times, our posting times have to. Sunday evening, we will return to a posting schedule form 11PM -11PM (PST). All posts received after 11:01PM PST will be in the next day's Digest

DUPLICATES
As mentioned in the July Traffic Report, Doug and I wanted to update and clarify "The Rules". The reasons for these modifications are:
1) To keep the quality of The Humor List at the top of available joke lists.
2) Subscriber enjoyment.
3) Clarity of “The Rules” for Contributors.
4) With only 2 Admin Staff, reduce the daily time required to monitor and enforce “The Rules”

Because duplicates have been a continued issue, this is the first area we're going to address. A "DUPLICATE" is defined as joke that has been posted within the past 6 months. Different set-ups, but a nearly identical punch lines, will also be considered a "duplicate" post. Same day posting or computer errors will be managed on an individual basis by the Admin Staff.

Due to technical and available time problems with both Sandy and Doug, modifications will be added to "The Rules" as soon a time avails.

HUMORESS1 SITE
In addition to managing duplicate posts, I (Doug) have temporarily taken over posting Digests to the Humoress1 website. I will probably update them backwards (latest to September 9) in blocks of 10-15 a day until they are completely up-to-date. After that I will update every 1-3 days. I will send an email notice to all the contributors when the pages were last updated and the dates updated.
Archive for Tips and Tricks

BECOME A CONTRIBUTOR
We have the best group of contributors - some posting every day and some posting multiple times daily. If you'd like information on how to join this elite group of merry men (and women) - send one of the Admin staff an email and we'll gladly answer all your questions. Everyone subscribing to The Humor List is encouraged to become a Contributor. Send your humor to thehumorlist@simplelists.com.
- Keep in mind that new Contributors are moderated until they can demonstrate an understanding and compliance of The Rules.
- You will not immediately see your posts (if you receive individual postings) until they are approved by Doug or Sandy.

Total Jokes Submitted This Month 402
WEEK SUN MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT
#1   14 15 14 13 14 13
#2 9 14 12 15 8 13 14
#3 14 15 13 12 14 13 14
#4 10 15 14 14 11 14 10
#5 9 15 12 14

Total Contributors Submitting
WEEK SUN MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT
#1   9 9 8 9 9 7
#2 6 9 8 10 5 8 8
#3 8 9 8 8 8 8 9
#4 7 9 8 10 8 10 7
#5 6 9 8 9

Statistical Comparisons
  Oct 2018 Sep 2018 Oct 2017 Oct 2016
# Jokes for the Month: 402 418 366 142
# Submission Days for the Month: 31 30  31 31
# Average Jokes Per Day for the Month: 13.0 13.9 11.8 4.6
# Highest Joke Count in 1 Day 15 22 0 0
# Highest Contributor Count in 1 Day 10 11 0 0
# Contributors for the Month: 17 16 0 0
# Total Contributors: 18 23 0 9
# New Subscribers for the Month: 0 0 0 2
# Members Unsubscribed for the Month: 0 0 0 4
# Total Subscribers at end of the Month: 331 331 0 1464

(1) The past statistics are based on addresses registered to our Listserver. It does not include addresses which receive HUMOR by other than direct mailings. The numbers include only non-concealed subscribers.
(2) While the information was interesting, because of the way mailing programs have become so universal, there's no way to accurately track the number of countries currently receiving The Humor List. We have discontinued reporting "Countries" in our monthly statistics.

CONTRIBUTORS' DAILY SUBMISSION COUNTS
* Contributed every day of the available month!.
On the "Daily Submission Counts", although more than one joke may be submitted per day, only one submission per day is countable for those totals. Submission dates are soon changing to Pacific Standard Time (PST) (2400-2400).
Contributor Posting Order From 10/1/2018 - 10/31/2018
* Sandy (AKA MsSam) 31
* Humoress1 31
* George Matyjewicz 31
* Paul Benoit (PBen) 31
Bill Eagle 29
Roger Hyman (ADodger) 28
March Warn 23
Maurizio Mariotti (Maury) 23
Anna Welander 6
Grady Lacy 5
Lee Bradley (T.O.P.) 5
Doug Harter 2
1 Submission Each: Mickey Hennigan, Phil G, Lanny Julian, Robert Bragner (RLB), Randall Woodman, Traffic Reporter/Admin
Monthly Data
Yearly Data

HUMOR GOALS:
A daily average of 5-10 examples of humor.
Protection of sensitivities for readers (Subject Line Warning Requirement).

THE HUMOR LIST 10 BASIC RULES (here's the simplified version):
(1) Six rules protect HUMOR members from excessive traffic.
- Only substantial examples of humor should be posted.
- Discussion, requests, criticisms, questions should not be posted.
- No personal attacks.
- Conserve bandwidth: Avoid blank lines. No ASCII files. No signature file preferred.
- While multiple posts are allowed, posting limit is now NO MORE THAN 3 per day.
- NO SPAMMING! A spammer will receive one warning before they are deleted and blocked. This is that one warning!
- NO links or attached files - with the exception of official business by the administrators.

(2) Three rules protect HUMOR from complaints.
- Subject line should disclose the subject of the humor.
- Subject line should include warning if potentially offensive.
- A CONTRIBUTOR WHO REPEATEDLY VIOLATES ANY OF THESE RULES, AFTER BEING WARNED, WILL BE SUSPENDED.

If you have a complaint or comment regarding a post - send it to the "Rule Cop": admin1@thehumorlist.us
Full list of Rules: http://thehumorlist.us/rules.htm

SUBSCRIBING INSTRUCTIONS THROUGH SIMPLELISTS:
1) http://thehumorlist.us/subscribe.htm

2) The one-time subscriber fee is now $14.95 for one email address or $19.95 for two email addresses.

3) After payment through PayPal, you will be directed back to the Humor List website. Because PayPal and SIMPLELISTS are not directly connected, there is a second step that must be completed. Please continue by adding your subscription information to the SimpleLists form. If you encounter any problems, contact Admin1.

4) One of the factors in deciding to allow SIMPLELISTS to become our new mailing list service was their strict anti-spamming policy. After completing the SIMPLELIST form, you will be sent a "Request to join mailing list thehumorlist@simplelists.com" email with a confirmation link. Be sure to confirm your email address. If a subscriber has not "confirmed" their email address - SIMPLELISTS will not allow us to include their email address for daily mailings.

NAVIGATING SIMPLELISTS
Effective August 1, 2017, The Humor List became a subscriber-supported list, with our list-mailing service being managed through SIMPLELISTS. New information is now available for subscriptions, 12 months of current archives, and account management. You will also find all of this information on every post you receive.

SUBSCRIBE: The most current information, prices, and possible specials, will be posted on our website. We only accept PayPal for membership fees.

TO BECOME A SUPPORTING MEMBER: http://thehumorlist.us/subscribe.htm

TO CONTROL YOUR ACCOUNT SETTINGS: http://archives.simplelists.com/

TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE HUMOR LIST: Individualized link is included on every email that subscribers received.

24-HOUR POSTING TIMES FOR DIGESTS: Midnight to midnight, PDT (UTC minus 08 hours) and 11:00 PM to 11:00 PM PST  (UTC minus 07 hours).

FINDING THE ARCHIVES
These are the current sites for the archives:
Daily Humor Posts, Digests, and Yearly and Monthly Traffic Reports
Pre-August 2017 (Available to the public)
http://archive.thehumorlist.us/Site1

Daily Humor Posts
Post-August 2017 (Members only)
https://archives.simplelists.com/thehumorlist

FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
The Humor List on Facebook US ON FACEBOOK:
https://www.facebook.com/The-Humor-List-241979695844031/

FOLLOW US ON The Humor List on Twitter
https://twitter.com/The_Humor_List

DOUG'S TRADITIONAL HUMOR CONTRIBUTION
And finally, the one feature which has been featured in all Traffic Reports, the contribution of Humor. Since, I am not a real regular contributor, I will not be providing new Humor. Instead, I will provide a joke from the archives. It will be at least 14 months old, so most of you won't remember it. This is my contribution of Humor from the Archives:

This joke is # 3 in the Digest for
Link: archive.thehumorlist.us/Site1/Digest/H0711060.php#Joke3

From: MsSam
Subject: November 6th - Election Day (Adult Theme)

Joke:
CELEBRATING TODAY: Election Day
Election Day, the day that United States citizens cast their ballot to elect government officials, is the Tuesday on or after November 2nd. This date was selected because:
(1) In November, the harvest work was done
(2) Tuesday was selected because many people had to travel the day before to reach the polling place. Since most people did not travel on Sunday for religious reasons, they did not want it to be on a Monday
(3) They did not want Election Day to fall on November 1st because it is All Saints Day
(4) They did not want Election Day to fall on the first of the month because many shop keepers did their books for the preceding month on the first.

From the Home Office in Wahoo, Nebraska, it's the Top Ten List Monday, November 01, 2004
TOP TEN PUNCHLINES TO DIRTY ELECTION JOKES
10 "With a poll like that, I'm suprised he can gallup at all."
9 "She starts chanting, 'four more minutes! four more minutes!'"
8 "That's not the voting lever, but don't stop pulling."
7 "This isn't how it looks--I'm just joining a third party."
6 I prefer Bush, but I don't know who I'll vote for."
5 "So that's where Katherine Harris was hiding the Al Gore votes."
4 "Unfortunately, his margin of error was plus or minus three inches."
3 "Get used to it, honey--we live in a swing state."
2 "I thought you had trouble maintaining an election."
1 "I saw your sister with Mary Cheney--there was no sign of Dick."
(c) MMV, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS: Lip years. (wordfoolery.com)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Doug Harter, Asst. Admin, Traffic Reporter and Archivist
Sandy (AKA MsSam) - Member Services, Correspondence, and "Rules Cop"

2018 TRAFFIC REPORTS
JANUARY FEBRUARY MARCH APRIL
MAY JUNE JULY AUGUST
SEPTEMBER OCTOBER NOVEMBER DECEMBER

ARCHIVE NAVIGATION
TRAFFIC REPORTS
MONTHLY POST INDEXES
TRAFFIC REPORTS
TRAFFIC REPORT DATA CONTRIBUTORS HISTORY BIOGRAPHIES

SANDY (AKA MsSam)