The Humor List

TRAFFIC REPORT FOR AUGUST 2018

TRAFFIC REPORT MENU
1. Welcome And Comments

2. Humor List Staff
3. Contributors' Tips
4. Become A Contributor
5. Traffic Report
6. Contributors' Daily Submission Counts
7. Humor List Goals
8. The 10 Basic Rules
9. Subscribing Instructions
10. Navigating SimpleLists
11. Finding the Archives
12. Follow us on Social Media
13. Doug's Traditional Humor Contribution
14. The Humor List Website Navigation

WELCOME TO THE MONTH OF: AUGUST 2018
Hi, everyone, this is Sandy, with this month's Traffic Report. Can you believe it? We've completed our 1 year anniversary, last month, as a subscriber-supported group and still going strong!! Without the contributions and dedication of our wonderful contributors, we would not have succeeded AND broken long-standing records! Our Contributors are the best!! If you read a post that you particularly liked - a little "fan mail" to the contributor is always welcomed. Just remember to hit the "Reply" on the email and do not send your personal message to the whole group.

Once a month, during the first part of the month, the Traffic Report is posted to the entire humor list. We hope that you have found that posting the monthly Traffic Report directly to our website and providing everyone a link, has been easier to follow our progress.

Doug: This has not been a good month for me. I had a minor operation that slowed me down a bit right after vacation and then, just when I was getting better, my computer died. It took a week until I got another and then I had to reinstall everything. One of the problems which is still plaguing me is that I cannot get to The Humor List's websites, which hampers me sending out this report. Everyone have a good Labor Day, a good start of the school year, and may your favorite high school, college and professional football teams be victorious. I WILL be back next month!

Sandy: On September 1, all of the September 2017 archived posts from SimpleLists will be permanently moved to our website and will no longer available through SimpleLists. Posts from October 2017-September 2018 will remain available on SimpleLists. Every month we will be adding the current month to our website and deleting it from SimpleLists - maintaining 1 year of archived files on SimpleLists available to subscribing members ONLY!

Files are currently being re-organized on our website, The Humor List Archive. If you find a broken link, let Sandy know what page you were attempting to reach so she can repair those links she missed. Thank you!!

* WOW!    Several times this past year we challenged our contributors to break records and they more than succeeded!! Now for a much deserved rest, we are going back to "normal" posting - and we still managed 472 posts this month!! We will not be planning any more challenges for 2018.
The Humor List Exciting Event

** A very special mention to the 5 Contributors that posted daily for August 2018! A special congratulations to Humoress1 for completing 12 full months of posts!
    Sandy (AKA MsSam) - 18th Consecutive Month
    Humoress1 - 12th Consecutive Month
    Paul "PBen" Benoit - 8th Consecutive Month
    Bill Eagle - 5th Consecutive Month
    George Matyjewicz - 4th Consecutive Month
The Humor List Exceptional Posting

*** It continues being quite impressive what our dedicated contributors are doing again this month! What a remarkable job with 472 posts for August! Our average for the first 8 months of 2018 is at 15.5 jokes per day. Our daily average for August was 15.2 jokes per day. ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!
The Humor List Amazing Event

If you have a complaint or comment regarding a post - send it to: admin1@thehumorlist.us
If you have a complaint or comment regarding the Traffic Report - send it to: comments@thehumorlist.us
(This report updated with current information: <Month Year>)
Back To Top

THE HUMOR LIST STAFF IS COMPRISED OF:
Sandy (AKA MsSam): Member Services, Correspondence, and "Rules Cop" - admin1@thehumorlist.us
Doug Harter: Assistant Admin, Archivist, and Traffic Reporter - traffic@thehumorlist.us
Maurizio Mariotti: Twitter Account Management - twitter@thehumorlist.us
Bill Edwards: Founder and List-Owner Emeritus

** CONTRIBUTORS' TIPS **
As mentioned in the July Traffic Report, Doug and I wanted to update and clarify "The Rules". The reasons for these modifications are:
1) To keep the quality of The Humor List at the top of available joke lists.
2) Subscriber enjoyment.
3) Clarity of “The Rules” for Contributors.
4) With only 2 Admin Staff, reduce the daily time required to monitor and enforce “The Rules”

Because duplicates have been a continued issue, this is the first area we're going to address. A "DUPLICATE" is defined as joke that has been posted within the past 6 months. Different set-ups, but a nearly identical punch lines, will also be considered a "duplicate" post. Same day posting or computer errors will be managed on an individual basis by the Admin Staff.

Due to technical problems with both Sandy and Doug's computers, modifications will be added to "The Rules" and become effective October 1, 2018

Archive for Tips and Tricks

BECOME A CONTRIBUTOR
During August, we had 17 active contributors. That's just barely 5% of our 331 members contributing jokes. We could really use some help here!

We have the best group of contributors - some posting every day and some posting multiple times daily. If you'd like information on how to join this elite group of merry men (and women) - send one of the Admin staff an email and we'll gladly answer all your questions. Everyone subscribing to The Humor List is encouraged to become a Contributor. Send your humor to thehumorlist@simplelists.com.
- Keep in mind that new Contributors are moderated until they can demonstrate an understanding and compliance of The Rules.
- You will not immediately see your posts (if you receive individual postings) until they are approved by Doug or Sandy.

Total Jokes Submitted This Month 472
WEEK SUN MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT
#1       15 14 15 16
#2 15 18 20 14 15 16 14
#3 13 15 20 17 15 19 14
#4 11 14 17 11 14 16 17
#5 12 12 15 17 15 14

Total Contributors Submitting
WEEK SUN MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT
#1       9 8 9 9
#2 9 10 12 9 10 10 8
#3 8 10 12 9 10 11 8
#4 6 11 11 7 10 9 10
#5 7 8 10 12 11 11

Statistical Comparisons
  Aug 2018 Jul 2018 Aug 2017 Aug 2016
# Jokes for the Month: 472 527 237 122
# Submission Days for the Month: 31 31 31 31
# Average Jokes Per Day for the Month: 15.2 17.0 7.6 4
# Highest Joke Count in 1 Day 20 25 10 N/A
# Highest Contributor Count in 1 Day 12 13 N/A N/A
# Contributors for the Month: 17 19 19 10
# Total Contributors: 23 23 21 11
# New Subscribers for the Month: 0 0 5 N/A
# Members Unsubscribed for the Month: 0 0 1 4
# Total Subscribers at end of the Month: 331 331 238 1479

(1) The past statistics are based on addresses registered to our Listserver. It does not include addresses which receive HUMOR by other than direct mailings. The numbers include only non-concealed subscribers.
(2) While the information was interesting, because of the way mailing programs have become so universal, there's no way to accurately track the number of countries currently receiving The Humor List. We have discontinued reporting "Countries" in our monthly statistics.

CONTRIBUTORS' DAILY SUBMISSION COUNTS
* Contributed every day of the available month!.
On the "Daily Submission Counts", although more than one joke may be submitted per day, only one submission per day is countable for those totals. Submission dates are currently based upon Pacific Daylight Time (2400-2400).
Contributor Posting Order From 08/01/2018 - 08/31/2018
Sandy (AKA MsSam) 31
Humoress1 31
Paul Benoit (PBen) 31
Bill Eagle 31
George Matyjewicz 31
Roger (A/Dodger) 30
Maurizio Mariotti (Maury) 25
March Warn 22
Grady Lacy 17
Lee Bradley (T.O.P.) 16
Phil G 8
Anna Welander 7
Lanny Julian 4
Randall Woodman 4
Robert Bragner (RLB) 4
1 Submission Each: Doug Harter and Admin1
Monthly Data
Yearly Data

HUMOR GOALS:
A daily average of 5-10 examples of humor.
Protection of sensitivities for readers (Subject Line Warning Requirement).

THE HUMOR LIST 10 BASIC RULES (here's the simplified version):
(1) Six rules protect HUMOR members from excessive traffic.
- Only substantial examples of humor should be posted.
- Discussion, requests, criticisms, questions should not be posted.
- No personal attacks.
- Conserve bandwidth: Avoid blank lines. No ASCII files. No signature file preferred.
- While multiple posts are allowed, posting limit is now NO MORE THAN 3 per day.
- NO SPAMMING! A spammer will receive one warning before they are deleted and blocked. This is that one warning!
- NO links or attached files - with the exception of official business by the administrators.

(2) Three rules protect HUMOR from complaints.
- Subject line should disclose the subject of the humor.
- Subject line should include warning if potentially offensive.
- A CONTRIBUTOR WHO REPEATEDLY VIOLATES ANY OF THESE RULES, AFTER BEING WARNED, WILL BE SUSPENDED.

If you have a complaint or comment regarding a post - send it to the "Rule Cop": admin1@thehumorlist.us
Full list of Rules: http://thehumorlist.us/rules.htm

SUBSCRIBING INSTRUCTIONS THROUGH SIMPLELISTS:
1) http://thehumorlist.us/subscribe.htm

2) The one-time subscriber fee is now $14.95 for one email address or $19.95 for two email addresses.

3) After payment through PayPal, you will be directed back to the Humor List website. Because PayPal and SIMPLELISTS are not directly connected, there is a second step that must be completed. Please continue by adding your subscription information to the SimpleLists form. If you encounter any problems, contact Admin1.

4) One of the factors in deciding to allow SIMPLELISTS to become our new mailing list service was their strict anti-spamming policy. After completing the SIMPLELIST form, you will be sent a "Request to join mailing list thehumorlist@simplelists.com" email with a confirmation link. Be sure to confirm your email address. If a subscriber has not "confirmed" their email address - SIMPLELISTS will not allow us to include their email address for daily mailings.

NAVIGATING SIMPLELISTS
Effective August 1, 2017, The Humor List became a subscriber-supported list, with our list-mailing service being managed through SIMPLELISTS. New information is now available for subscriptions, 12 months of current archives, and account management. You will also find all of this information on every post you receive.

SUBSCRIBE: The most current information, prices, and possible specials, will be posted on our website. We only accept PayPal for membership fees.

TO BECOME A SUPPORTING MEMBER: http://thehumorlist.us/subscribe.htm

TO CONTROL YOUR ACCOUNT SETTINGS: http://archives.simplelists.com/

TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE HUMOR LIST: Individualized link is included on every email that subscribers received.

24-HOUR POSTING TIMES FOR DIGESTS: Midnight to midnight, PDT (UTC minus 08 hours) and 11:00 PM to 11:00 PM PST  (UTC minus 07 hours).

FINDING THE ARCHIVES
These are the current sites for the archives:
Daily Humor Posts, Digests, and Yearly and Monthly Traffic Reports
Pre-September 2017 (Available to the public)
http://archive.thehumorlist.us/Site1

Daily Humor Posts
Post-August 2017 (Members only)
https://archives.simplelists.com/thehumorlist

FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
The Humor List on Facebook US ON FACEBOOK:
https://www.facebook.com/The-Humor-List-241979695844031/

FOLLOW US ON The Humor List on Twitter
https://twitter.com/The_Humor_List

DOUG'S TRADITIONAL HUMOR CONTRIBUTION
And finally, the one feature which has been featured in all Traffic Reports, the contribution of Humor. I will provide a joke from the archives. It will be at least 14 months old, so most of you won't remember it.

This joke is #2 in the Digest for: 08/30/2009
Link: http://archive.thehumorlist.us/Site1/Digests/H0908300.php#Joke2

From: Marsha in Texas
Subject: It's Back to School Week!

Joke:
In the school I went to, they asked a kid to prove the law of gravity and he threw the teacher out the window. - Rodney Dangerfield
***
Smartness runs in my family. When I went to school I was so smart my teacher was in my class for five years. - Gracie Allen
***
In the first place God made idiots; that was for practice; then he made school boards. - Mark Twain
***
I won't say ours was a tough school, but we had our own coroner. We used to write essays like: What I'm going to be if I grow up. - Lenny Bruce
***
My school was so tough the school newspaper had an obituary section. - Norm Crosby
***
Thank goodness I was never sent to school; it would have rubbed off some of the originality. - Beatrix Potter
***
I felt alienated at school, and I never did well with girls. - Burt Bacharach
***
True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country. - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
***
I never did very well in math-I could never seem to persuade the teacher that I hadn't meant my answers literally. - Calvin Trillin
***
My education was dismal. I went to a series of schools for mentally disturbed teachers. - Woody Allen

Doug Harter, Asst. Admin, Traffic Reporter and Archivist
Sandy (AKA MsSam) - Member Services, Correspondence, and "Rules Cop"

2018 TRAFFIC REPORTS
JANUARY FEBRUARY MARCH APRIL
MAY JUNE JULY AUGUST
SEPTEMBER OCTOBER NOVEMBER DECEMBER

ARCHIVE NAVIGATION
TRAFFIC REPORTS
MONTHLY POST INDEXES
TRAFFIC REPORTS
TRAFFIC REPORT DATA CONTRIBUTORS HISTORY BIOGRAPHIES

SANDY (AKA MsSam)