The Humor List

TRAFFIC REPORT FOR FEBRUARY 2018

TRAFFIC REPORT MENU
1. Welcome And Comments

2. Humor List Staff
3. Contributors' Tips
4. Become A Contributor
5. Traffic Report
6. Contributors' Daily Submission Counts
7. Humor List Goals
8. The 10 Basic Rules
9. Subscribing Instructions
10. Navigating Simplelists
11. Finding the Archives
12. Follow us on Social Media
13. Doug's Traditional Humor Contribution
14. The Humor List Website Navigation

WELCOME TO THE MONTH OF: FEBRUARY 2018
Hi, everyone, this is Doug and Sandy, with this month's Traffic Report - our seventh month as a subscriber-supported group and our wonderful contributors continue to break records with a fury!! Our Contributors are the best!! If you read a post that you particularly liked - a little "fan mail" to the contributor is always welcomed! Just remember to hit the "Reply" on the email and do not send your personal message to the whole group!

Once a month, during the first part of the month, the Traffic Report is posted to the entire humor list. We're doing something a little different - posting the monthly Traffic Report directly to our website and providing everyone a link.

This is really Doug this time. I am back and will be bringing you the Monthly and Yearly Traffic Reports from now on, barring any more problems.

I have had to read every one of the postings in the Digests the last nine months, so my statistics were correct, and it was nice to see so many posts I have not seen before, especially during 2018. Keep them coming!

* While it may have looked like we have a new contributor starting March 1, it was more of an administrative decision to separate business and pleasure. All of the jokes submitted by Admin1 have been transferred to the new email address "Humoress1". Admin1 will now be used exclusively for The Humor List business issues.

** On Feb 7th, Sandy completed 1 full year of daily posts!!

*** A very special mention to the 6 Contributors that posted daily for February 2018!!
     Sandy (AKA MsSam) -12th Consecutive Month
     Admin1 - 6th Consecutive Month
     Paul "PBen" Benoit - 2nd Consecutive Month
     Earl "Hi Verchal" Hall - 2nd Consecutive Month
     Bill Eagle - 1st Month
     George Matyjewicz - 1st Month

 **** Last month we were so excited by the record number of jokes submitted by our dedicated contributors - 462, averaging 14.9 posts per day!  Remember, January was a 31 day month. This month, in only 28 days, our contributors posted 442 jokes, averaging 15.8 posts per day. Had this month been 31 days, at the rate the jokes were being posted, we would have seen +/- 490 jokes posted. With only 17 active contributors - February was an amazing month! A BIG thanks to those contributors!!

If you have a complaint or comment regarding a post - send it to: admin1@thehumorlist.us
If you have a complaint or comment regarding the Traffic Report - send it to: comments@thehumorlist.us
(This report updated with current information: February 2018)
Back To Top
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = ==

THE HUMOR LIST STAFF IS COMPRISED OF:
Sandy (AKA MsSam): Member Services, Correspondence, and "Rules Cop" - admin1@thehumorlist.us
Doug Harter: Assistant Admin, Archivist, and Traffic Reporter - traffic@thehumorlist.us
Maurizio Mariotti: Twitter Account Management - twitter@thehumorlist.us
Bill Edwards: Founder and List-Owner Emeritus
Back to Top
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = ==

** CONTRIBUTORS' TIPS **
DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME BEGINS MARCH 11th!!
While most of us will be setting our clocks forward that Sunday morning - the SimpleList server remains unchanged! Our new posting hours for each daily Digest will be 00:01 AM to 12:00 PM, PDT (UTC minus 07 hours)

WHAT ARE THE CURRENT POSTING RESTRICTIONS?
Originally The Humor List "Rules" stated that only 1 post per day was allowed. Since then, that restriction was lifted and multiple posts were allowed. It has been noted that recently some contributors are overly zealous in their desire to share humorous posts - creating massive Digests for subscribers. Doug and I have discussed a reasonable compromise and now have set limits at no more than 3 posts, per email address, per "posting day".

POLITICAL POSTS
While there is nothing specifically restricting the topic of politics in The Rules, the Admin Staff is requesting contributors avoid posting political-oriented jokes. We are requesting this moratorium because of the increasing level of complaints we've been receiving. Most subscribers enjoy reading the posts because it's a brief and entertaining escape from the depressing, 24/7 exposure to political news. Contributors and subscribers who wish to read, post or share politically themed items are welcome to do so on the many social media sites designed for just that purpose.

DUPLICATES, DUPLICATES, DUPLICATES!
Most of the duplicate jokes are less than 2 months since the first time they were posted. Remember, a duplicate post will count towards the daily posting totals, but unless you have submitted multiple, non-duplicated jokes that day, it will not count towards your "Days Contributed" total. Need we say more?

Archive for Tips and Tricks

BECOME A CONTRIBUTOR
We have the best group of contributors - some posting every day and some posting multiple times daily. If you'd like information on how to join this elite group of merry men (and women) - send one of the Admin staff an email and we'll gladly answer all your questions. Everyone subscribing to The Humor List is encouraged to become a Contributor. Send your humor to thehumorlist@simplelists.com.
- Keep in mind that new Contributors are moderated until they can demonstrate an understanding and compliance of The Rules.
- You will not immediately see your posts (if you receive individual postings) until they are approved by Doug or Sandy.

Total Jokes Submitted This Month (442)
WEEK SUN MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT
#1 - - - - 19 16 17
#2 18 20 17 15 16 18 13
#3 11 12 12 15 16 13 18
#4 17 20 15 14 14 18 16
#5 17 15 16 14 - - -

Total Contributors Submitting
WEEK SUN MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT
#1 - - - - 14 10 11
#2 11 14 11 11 11 12 10
#3 10 10 10 10 12 9 13
#4 11 13 10 11 11 12 10
#5 12 11 12 10 - - -

Statistical Comparisons
  February 2018 January 2018 February 2017 February 2016
# Jokes for the Month: 442 462 148 139
# Submission Days for the Month: 28 31 28 28
# Average Jokes Per Day for the Month: 15.8 14.9 5 5
# Highest Joke Count in 1 Day 20 28 N/A N/A
# Highest Contributor Count in 1 Day 14 13 N/A N/A
# Contributors for the Month: 17 21 11 12
# Total Contributors: 23 23 12 16
# New Subscribers for the Month: 2 3 2 1
# Members Unsubscribed for the Month: 0 0 3 2
# Total Subscribers at end of the Month: 312 310 1461 1476

(1) The past statistics are based on addresses registered to our Listserver. It does not include addresses which receive HUMOR by other than direct mailings. The numbers include only non-concealed subscribers.
(2) While the information was interesting, because of the way mailing programs have become so universal, there's no way to accurately track the number of countries currently receiving The Humor List. We will be discontinuing the reporting of "Countries" in our monthly statistics.

CONTRIBUTORS' DAILY SUBMISSION COUNTS
* Contributed every day of the available month!.
On the "Daily Submission Counts", although more than one joke may be submitted per day, only one (non-duplicate) submission per day is countable for those totals. Submission dates are currently based upon Pacific Standard Time (2300-2259).
Contributor Posting Order From 02/01/2018 to 02/28/2018
* Sandy (AKA MsSam) 28
* Admin1 28
Paul Benoit (PBen) 28
* Earl Hall (Hi Verchal) 28
* Bill Eagle 28
* George Matyjewicz 28
March Warn 22
Maurizio Mariotti (Maury) 22
Roger Hyman (A/Dodger) 21
Doug Harter 19
Anna Welander 17
Grady Lacy 13
Lee Bradley (T.O.P.) 12
Lanny Julian 9
Phil G 6
1 Submission Each: Traffic Report, Randall Woodman
Monthly Data
Yearly Data

HUMOR GOALS:
A daily average of 5-10 examples of humor.
Protection of sensitivities for readers (Subject Line Warning Requirement).

THE HUMOR LIST 10 BASIC RULES (here's the simplified version):
(1) Seven rules protect HUMOR members from excessive traffic.
- Only substantial examples of humor should be posted.
- Discussion, requests, criticisms, questions should not be posted.
- No personal attacks.
- Conserve bandwidth: Avoid blank lines. No ASCII files. No signature file preferred.
- While multiple posts are allowed, limit posts to NO MORE THAN 3 per day.
- NO SPAMMING! A spammer will receive one warning before they are deleted and blocked. This is that one warning!
- NO links or attached files - with the exception of official business by the administrators.

(2) Three rules protect HUMOR from complaints.
- Subject line should disclose the subject of the humor.
- Subject line should include warning if potentially offensive.
- A CONTRIBUTOR WHO REPEATEDLY VIOLATES ANY OF THESE RULES, AFTER BEING WARNED, WILL BE SUSPENDED.

If you have a complaint or comment regarding a post - send it to: admin1@thehumorlist.us
Full list of Rules: http://thehumorlist.us/rules.htm

SUBSCRIBING INSTRUCTIONS THROUGH SIMPLELISTS:
1) http://thehumorlist.us/subscribe.htm

2) The one-time subscriber fee is now $14.95 for one email address or $19.95 for two email addresses.

3) After payment through PayPal, you will be directed back to the Humor List website. Because PayPal and SIMPLELISTS are not directly connected, there is a second step that must be completed. Please continue by adding your subscription information to the SimpleLists form.

4) One of the factors in deciding to allow SIMPLELISTS to become our new mailing list service was their strict anti-spamming policy. After completing the SIMPLELIST form, you will be sent a "Request to join mailing list thehumorlist@simplelists.com" email with a confirmation link. Be sure to confirm your email address. If a subscriber has not "confirmed" their email address - SIMPLELISTS will not allow us to include their email address for daily mailings.

NAVIGATING SIMPLELISTS
Effective August 1, 2017, The Humor List became a subscriber-supported list, with our list-mailing service being managed through SIMPLELISTS. New information is now available for subscriptions, 12 months of current archives, and account management. You will also find all of this information on every post you receive.

SUBSCRIBE: The most current information, prices, and possible specials, will be posted on our website. We only accept PayPal for membership fees.

TO BECOME A SUPPORTING MEMBER: http://thehumorlist.us/subscribe.htm

TO CONTROL YOUR ACCOUNT SETTINGS: http://archives.simplelists.com/

TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE HUMOR LIST: Individualized link is included on every email that subscribers received.

24-HOUR POSTING TIMES FOR DIGESTS: Midnight to midnight, PDT (UTC minus 08 hours) and 11:00 PM to 11:00 PM PST  (UTC minus 07 hours).

FINDING THE ARCHIVES
These are the current sites for the archives:
Daily Humor Posts, Digests, and Yearly and Monthly Traffic Reports
Pre-August 2017 (Available to the public)
http://archive.thehumorlist.us/Site1

Daily Humor Posts
Post-August 2017 (Members only)
https://archives.simplelists.com/thehumorlist

FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
The Humor List on Facebook US ON FACEBOOK:
https://www.facebook.com/The-Humor-List-241979695844031/

FOLLOW US ON The Humor List on Twitter
https://twitter.com/The_Humor_List

DOUG'S TRADITIONAL HUMOR CONTRIBUTION
And finally, the one feature which has been featured in all Traffic Reports, the contribution of Humor. Since, I am not a real regular contributor, I will not be providing new Humor. Instead, I will provide a joke from the archives. It will be at least 14 months old, so most of you won't remember it. This is my contribution of Humor from the Archives:

This joke is #3  in the Digest for:
Link: http://archive.thehumorlist.us/Site1/Digests/H1503200.html#Message:_3

From: Lanny Julian
Subject: Two Irish Women

Joke:
Two women were sitting next to each other in a bar. After a while, one looks at the other and says, "I can't help but think, from listening to you, that you're from Ireland."

The other woman responds proudly, "Yes, I sure am!"

The first one says, "So am I! And whereabouts in Ireland are ya from?"

The other woman answers, "I'm from Dublin, I am."

The first one responds, "So, am I!! And what street did you live on in Dublin?"

The other woman says, "A lovely little area. It was in the west end. I lived on Warbury Street in the old central part of town."

The first one says, "Faith, and it's a small world. So did I! So did I! And what school did ya go to?"

The other woman answers, "Well now, I went to Holy Heart of Mary, of course."

The first one gets really excited and says, "And so did I! Tell me, what year did you graduate?"

The other woman answers, "Well, now, let's see. I graduated in 1964."

The first woman exclaims, "The Good Lord must be smiling down upon us! I can hardly believe our good luck at winding up in the same pub tonight! Can you believe it? I graduated from Holy Heart of Mary in 1964 myself!"

About this time, Michael walks into the bar, sits down, and orders a beer. Brian, the bartender, walks over to Michael shaking his head and mutters, "It's going to be a long night tonight."

Michael asks, "Why do you say that, Brian?"

Brian answers, "The Murphy twins are drunk again."

Doug Harter, Asst. Admin, Traffic Reporter, and Archivist
Sandy (AKA MsSam) - Member Services, Correspondence, and "Rules Cop"

2018 TRAFFIC REPORTS
JANUARY FEBRUARY MARCH APRIL
MAY JUNE JULY AUGUST
SEPTEMBER OCTOBER NOVEMBER DECEMBER

ARCHIVE NAVIGATION
TRAFFIC REPORTS
MONTHLY POST INDEXES
TRAFFIC REPORTS
TRAFFIC REPORT DATA CONTRIBUTORS HISTORY BIOGRAPHIES

SANDY (AKA MsSam)