The Humor List

TRAFFIC REPORT FOR DECEMBER 2017

TRAFFIC REPORT MENU
1. Welcome And Comments

2. Humor List Staff
3. Contributors' Tips
4. Become A Contributor
5. Traffic Report
6. Contributors' Daily Submission Counts
7. Humor List Goals
8. The 10 Basic Rules
9. Subscribing Instructions
10. Navigating Simplelists
11. Finding the Archives
12. Follow us on Social Media
13. Doug's Traditional Humor Contribution
14. The Humor List Website Navigation

WELCOME TO THE MONTH OF: DECEMBER 2017
Hi, everyone, this is Sandy (for Doug), with this month's Traffic Report - our fifth month as a subscriber-supported group and our wonderful contributors continue to break daily posting records with a fury!! Our Contributors are the best!! If you read a post that you particularly liked - a little "fan mail" to the contributor is always welcomed! Just remember to hit the "Reply:" on the email and do not send your personal message to the whole group!

Once a month, during the first part of the month, the Traffic Report is usually posted to the entire humor list. We're doing something a little different - posting the monthly Traffic Report directly to our website and providing everyone a link. With fingers crossed, Doug should be returning and taking over the Traffic Report again January 2018. Welcome back!!

It's the holiday month, and in that spirit, we ran another contest, "The 12 Days of Christmas," with the original-humorlist@simplelists group. We're happy to announce of the 900+ members who remain on that list, we were able to add 60+ new members - and 2 supporting-subscribers!

391 posts for December! The Humor List (in any of it's past formats) hasn't seen over 390 post since April 1997. That Traffic Report is also showing they had 841-845 contributors ... and we had 18 contributors posting! Thank you so much for the efforts from all of you!!

** Special mention to the 4 Contributors that posted daily for December - MsSam, George Matyjewicz, Admin1, and Bill Eagle!

If you have a complaint or comment regarding a post - send it to: admin1@thehumorlist.us
If you have a complaint or comment regarding the Traffic Report - send it to: comments@thehumorlist.us
(This report updated with current information: February 2018)
Back To Top
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = ==

THE HUMOR LIST STAFF IS COMPRISED OF:
Sandy (AKA MsSam): Member Services, Correspondence, and "Rules Cop" - admin1@thehumorlist.us
Doug Harter: Assistant Admin, Archivist, and Traffic Reporter - traffic@thehumorlist.us
Maurizio Mariotti: Twitter Account Management - twitter@thehumorlist.us
Bill Edwards: Founder and List-Owner Emeritus
Back to Top
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = ==

** CONTRIBUTORS' TIPS **
How does the Admin Staff adequately thank all of the contributors for the amazing finish we had for 2017? We came up from rock bottom in June, transitioned to the new format, then took off like sky rockets!

Down to business: While The Humor List no longer has the limit of one post per contributor, per day, the purpose of The Humor List is to provide a variety of humor without overwhelming everyone's personal email accounts. Please try to limit daily posts to no more than 3 daily.

Another quick reminder - SimpleLists adds a footer to every email it sends out. Adding 2-3 line breaks after your post gives a less confusing separation.

Archive for Tips and Tricks

BECOME A CONTRIBUTOR
We have the best group of contributors - some posting every day and some posting multiple times daily. If you'd like information on how to join this elite group of merry men (and women) - send one of the Admin staff an email and we'll gladly answer all your questions. Everyone subscribing to The Humor List is encouraged to become a Contributor. Send your humor to thehumorlist@simplelists.com.
- Keep in mind that new Contributors are moderated until they can demonstrate an understanding and compliance of The Rules.
- You will not immediately see your posts (if you receive individual postings) until they are approved by Doug or Sandy.

Total Jokes Submitted This Month (391)
WEEK SUN MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT
#1 - - - - - 11 13
#2 6 11 10 11 14 11 11
#3 10 11 13 13 14 12 16
#4 13 19 14 9 15 13 14
#5 13 10 16 14 13 13 16
#6 12 - - - - - -

Total Contributors Submitting
WEEK SUN MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT
#1 - - - - - 9 9
#2 6 9 8 9 10 9 9
#3 8 7 9 9 9 8 9
#4 7 12 9 6 8 9 8
#5 8 6 8 9 8 9 9
#6 7 - - - - - -

Statistical Comparisons
  December 2017 November 2017 December 2016 December 2015
# Jokes for the Month: 391 355 187 148
# Submission Days for the Month: 31 30 31 31
# Average Jokes Per Day for the Month: 12.6 11.8 6 5
# Highest Joke Count in 1 Day 19 15 N/A N/A
# Highest Contributor Count in 1 Day 12 11 N/A N/A
# Contributors for the Month: 18 19 11 10
# Total Contributors: 23 22 13 13
# New Subscribers for the Month: 66 0 1 1
# Members Unsubscribed for the Month: 0 1 4 2
# Total Subscribers at end of the Month: 307 241 1460 1477

(1) The past statistics are based on addresses registered to our Listserver. It does not include addresses which receive HUMOR by other than direct mailings. The numbers include only non-concealed subscribers.
(2) While the information was interesting, because of the way mailing programs have become so universal, there's no way to accurately track the number of countries currently receiving The Humor List. We will be discontinuing the reporting of "Countries" in our monthly statistics.

CONTRIBUTORS' DAILY SUBMISSION COUNTS
* Contributed every day of the available month!.
On the "Daily Submission Counts", although more than one joke may be submitted per day, only one submission per day is countable for those totals. Submission dates are currently based upon Pacific Standard Time (2300-2259).
Contributor Posting Order From 12/01/2017 to 12/31/2017
* Sandy (AKA MsSam) 31
* George Matyjewicz 31
* Admin1 31
* Bill Eagle 31
Roger Hyman (ADodger) 30
Maurizio Mariotti 22
Lee Bradley 16
Anna Welander 15
March Warn 14
Grady Lacy 10
Ray Powell 9
Mickey Hennigan 7
Paul Benoit (PBen) 5
Phil G 2
Doug Harter 2
Jim Mica 2
1 Submission Each:
Randall Woodman, Traffic Report
Monthly Data
Yearly Data

HUMOR GOALS:
A daily average of 5-10 examples of humor.
Protection of sensitivities for readers (Subject Line Warning Requirement).

THE HUMOR LIST 10 BASIC RULES (here's the simplified version):
(1) Six rules protect HUMOR members from excessive traffic.
- Only substantial examples of humor should be posted.
- Discussion, requests, criticisms, questions should not be posted.
- No personal attacks.
- Conserve bandwidth: Avoid blank lines. No ASCII files. No signature file preferred.
- While multiple posts are allowed, limit post to NO MORE THAN 3 per day.
- NO SPAMMING! A spammer will receive one warning before they are deleted and blocked. This is that one warning!
- NO links or attached files - with the exception of official business by the administrators.

(2) Three rules protect HUMOR from complaints.
- Subject line should disclose the subject of the humor.
- Subject line should include warning if potentially offensive.
- A CONTRIBUTOR WHO REPEATEDLY VIOLATES ANY OF THESE RULES, AFTER BEING WARNED, WILL BE SUSPENDED.

If you have a complaint or comment regarding a post - send it to: admin1@thehumorlist.us
Full list of Rules: http://thehumorlist.us/rules.htm

SUBSCRIBING INSTRUCTIONS THROUGH SIMPLELISTS:
1) http://thehumorlist.us/subscribe.htm

2) The one-time subscriber fee is now $14.95 for one email address or $19.95 for two email addresses.

3) After payment through PayPal, you will be directed back to the Humor List website. Because PayPal and SIMPLELISTS are not directly connected, there is a second step that must be completed. Please continue by adding your subscription information to the SimpleLists form.

4) One of the factors in deciding to allow SIMPLELISTS to become our new mailing list service was their strict anti-spamming policy. After completing the SIMPLELIST form, you will be sent a "Request to join mailing list thehumorlist@simplelists.com" email with a confirmation link. Be sure to confirm your email address. If a subscriber has not "confirmed" their email address - SIMPLELISTS will not allow us to include their email address for daily mailings.

NAVIGATING SIMPLELISTS
Effective August 1, 2017, The Humor List became a subscriber-supported list, with our list-mailing service being managed through SIMPLELISTS. New information is now available for subscriptions, 12 months of current archives, and account management. You will also find all of this information on every post you receive.

SUBSCRIBE: The most current information, prices, and possible specials, will be posted on our website. We only accept PayPal for membership fees.

TO BECOME A SUPPORTING MEMBER: http://thehumorlist.us/subscribe.htm

TO CONTROL YOUR ACCOUNT SETTINGS: http://archives.simplelists.com/

TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE HUMOR LIST: Individualized link is included on every email that subscribers received.

24-HOUR POSTING TIMES FOR DIGESTS: Midnight to midnight, PDT (UTC minus 08 hours) and 11:00 PM to 11:00 PM PST  (UTC minus 07 hours).

FINDING THE ARCHIVES
These are the current sites for the archives:
Daily Humor Posts, Digests, and Yearly and Monthly Traffic Reports
Pre-August 2017 (Available to the public)
http://archive.thehumorlist.us/Site1

Daily Humor Posts
Post-August 2017 (Members only)
https://archives.simplelists.com/thehumorlist

FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
The Humor List on Facebook US ON FACEBOOK:
https://www.facebook.com/The-Humor-List-241979695844031/

FOLLOW US ON The Humor List on Twitter
https://twitter.com/The_Humor_List

DOUG'S TRADITIONAL HUMOR CONTRIBUTION
And finally, the one feature which has been featured in all Traffic Reports, the contribution of Humor. Since, I am not a real regular contributor, I will not be providing new Humor. Instead, I will provide a joke from the archives. It will be at least 14 months old, so most of you won't remember it. This is my contribution of Humor from the Archives:

This joke is #3 in the Digest for: 12/25/2005
Link: http://archive.thehumorlist.us/Site1/Digests/H0512250.php#Joke3

From: Paul Benoit
Subject: The Nativity

Joke: Every Christmas morning, when my kids were little, I read them the nativity story out of the big family bible.

When the youngest was old enough to talk, she asked me what a stable was.

I thought for a moment how to explain it to her in terms she could understand, then told her, "It's something like your sister's room, but without a stereo."

Doug Harter, Asst. Admin, Traffic Reporter and Archivist
Submitted by: Sandy (AKA MsSam) - Member Services, Correspondence, and "Rules Cop", in Doug's absence.

TRAFFIC REPORTS
MONTHLY POST INDEXES
TRAFFIC REPORTS
TRAFFIC REPORT DATA CONTRIBUTORS HISTORY BIOGRAPHIES

SANDY (AKA MsSam)